Spain // Barcelona


Barcelona is one of the coolest cities I have ever seen, there so much life at any hour of the day any day of the week. I was so sad to only spend a few days there but was happy I was able to have the experience. We came to Barcelona after our cruise in Croatia and we were ready to relax after a week of no sleep and island hopping. Naturally we headed straight to the beach in between some walking tours through our hostel and pigging out on tapas and sangria. Me and three others that I had been with on Sail Croatia booked a room in Kabul Backpackers Hostel which was by far the best hostel I have ever stayed in. Not only was it massive but their were computers available, a rooftop bar, and it has a really modern feel to it when it comes to the furniture, artwork, etc. On our short trek down to the shore from our hostel I could have counted 20 pieces of modern street art that was honestly mind blowing. Mixed in with that was landmarks, cathedrals, and statues that held more historical value not only to Spain, but to Barcelona and it's Catalonian roots in specific. The streets are filled with stories and you can truly feel that when you are walking through them. 

Another thing I found very interesting about the culture of Barcelona was their daily schedules. Because of how late they eat dinner and go out we would wake up around 12, adventure the city, come back and nap, eat dinner around 10:30 or 11, and be out at the club around 1:30 or 2. That would leave us getting home around 7-8am. It was insane to walk out of a dark club into the warm morning sun. The streets would still be packed with people from parties the night before along with street vendors, entertainers, skateboarders, and even people on their morning run or on the way to work. One of our nights out consisted of an event night called Nasty Monday's that takes place every Monday night. It includes a main stage area that plays Classic Rock and Roll music with a downstairs area that focuses on Deep House and EDM. What was so cool about this in specific is that it isn't advertised by the hostels or travel agencies, it is almost all local college kids and young people alike. We got to fully immerse ourselves in the Barcelona nightlife with the people who live there. As my friends and I would agree, it was probably one of the best nights, if not the best, of the summer. 

Even though I only spent a short time in Barcelona it was one of the most eventful and fun legs of my trip. I think it was so enjoyable because we didn't try to rush through seeing everything we possibly could, we knew we only had a few days there and wanted to really soak in the "Spain" experience and lifestyle. I think we played it right BUT Barcelona is definitely towards the top of my list of places I need to get back too, quick!! I loved this place and all of the diversity and beauty that the city offered as well as the round-the-clock liveliness. 


Nasty Monday's (not my photo)







                      


0 comments:

 

Popular This Week

About

Meagan // 21 // Southern California // Traveling ~ Snowboarding ~ Food ~ Fun