Lessons Traveling Has Taught Me



Traveling has truly challenged me in every way possible. Going into a big trip all I think about is the excitement of the journey but not necessarily the obstacles that I will face along the way. As I departed for Europe this year there was a lot going on in my life back at home which could have deferred me from leaving. I decided to stick with the trip and move forward because I know these kind of opportunities are sentimentally valuable, especially when you are young. I started out my trip in Les Deux Alpes, a French mountain town where I knew close to nobody. The first week or so adjusting I was thinking "What the hell am I doing here?". I couldn't pack up and leave when I have family, school, and work that I should be focusing on. My mind was racing and convincing myself that it was a bad idea.

 I was struggling with language barriers immediately when I was in a house full of Italians. I decided it was time to change my attitude because I had a long summer ahead of me. I started becoming more confident with asking quesitons and diving into learning the language so I could communicate with my house mates. It wasn't that they didn't speak English or understand me, it was that for that first week I was the only person who spoke only English. I really fell in love with the Italian language and was able to practice it hands on everyday. By no means am I fluent but I have learned a lot more than I thought I was capable of in a short three months. Not only were these language barriers in the house but they were throughout the entirety of the town, The whole summer I came across a scarce total of three other Americans.

Flying solo on a trip like this really pushed me out of my comfort zone to make friends in a situation that I was not used to by any means. By the time I left Les Deux Alpes I had made friends from all over the world who share the same passions and interests as myself. It really makes you realize how beautiful the world, and traveling, can be. A lot of people ask me how I can do this and do it often. When it comes down to it, it isn't about money. It's about precise planning, flight tracking, and taking a risk to make your dreams become reality. Fear isn't really an option in traveling and neither is doubt. Be confident, take risks, and go in the direction that YOU WANT TO. If I listened to half the people who fill my mind with doubt about my travels then I would not be able to go through with it. Traveling has taught me to stay true to my own intentions and dreams, do what I want, and be confident about those decisions. 

0 comments:

 

Popular This Week

About

Meagan // 21 // Southern California // Traveling ~ Snowboarding ~ Food ~ Fun